How to Shop Terms of Sale Security Privacy Wish List Order History Contact Us    
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Old Marbles      Share

Old Marbles

Please inform the age, material and value of these marbles (attached 2 images)

Re: Old Marbles

The 4 on the right are what we call Gutta Percha or Paper Mache. 100+ years old and we are not positive on the material they are made of. The small brown marble on the bottom of the pic and the 2 wirth blue above it to the right and left are called Benningtons are 100+ years old made of a ceramic. The Transparent dark blue with white line and the one above it may be what are known as Japanese Transitionals and are thought to be about 75 years old. The rest of the glass marbles are mostly a type known as European or German Cateyes. Did you come across these in India?
    CACs make me smile, Galen

You have a variety there. The right hand group of 4 might be Gutta Percha marbles and can be quite valuable. The blue & brown ones in the lower center of the first picture with "eyes" on them are Benningtons - made in Germany in later 1800's - fairly common. The rest are made of glass. A couple might be transitionals and worth a fee dollars. Several of the remaining ar cat's-eyes or clearies - a;; common and worth nickel, dime, quarter.

Quote Originally Posted by Al View Post
    You have a variety there. The right hand group of 4 might be Gutta Percha marbles and can be quite valuable. The blue & brown ones in the lower center of the first picture with "eyes" on them are Benningtons - made in Germany in later 1800's - fairly common. The rest are made of glass. A couple might be transitionals and worth a fee dollars. Several of the remaining ar cat's-eyes or clearies - a;; common and worth nickel, dime, quarter.
    Thank you for your reply. This collection has been in my family since generations and I have inherited it from my late grandfather. If it interests you enough to procure the marbles for your collection please lat me know. Thanks.
    BK