How to Shop Terms of Sale Security Privacy Wish List Order History Contact Us    
+ Reply to Thread

Can this Akro be repaired ?

If it is possible, does anyone know who & how I might contact them ?
    If it were in perfect condition what would its value be ?
    I ask this so I don't spend a 100.00 fixing it only to learn it was only worth 20.00.

Re: Can this Akro be repaired ?

No it can not be repaired. The chip is below the color. Most machine mades will loose their character patterns and colors when put in a polishing machine. There are a few types that can handle a light grinding and buff but not many. It will also remove any value if it has some to start with(machine mades). Some beat to heck hand mades can keep some value and even gain a little but any marble with any real value at all should never be buffed or polished IMO.
    CACs make me smile, Galen

Leave a marble as found. This truth holds steadfast in almost all collectables, I get it thanks.
    So basically there are two groups of marbles, machine made which have little value & hand made which can be worth more if used. Can of course being the key word.
    I am off to learn the difference between these to groups.
    Thank you...

Many vintage machine made marbles have sold for over a thousand dollars and their are many types worth hundreds of dollars in mint condition. The problem with polishing is most have their colors on the surface and are ruined by polishing. Many unscrupulous folks give machine mades a light buff and pass them off as mint but a close examination tells the tale(Not something you can see on Ebay) And I know very few real collectors of machine made marbles that would put polished or buffed marbles in their collection. Many hand made marbles have a layer of clear glass and polishing does not always ruin the look but will lower the value tremendously of a valuable lightly dinged marble. But a hand made heavily damaged and basically worthless may gain some value by polishing and at least it will be a lot nicer to look at. Now if every polished marble just stayed with the original owner there wouldn't be a problem.
    Last edited by lstmmrbls; 12-28-2014 at 05:36 PM.
    CACs make me smile, Galen