How to Shop Terms of Sale Security Privacy Wish List Order History Contact Us    
+ Reply to Thread

New to the group and wanted to share

Hi All,

I am new to the group and to collecting marbles. Below are some of my acquisitions. Most have been put to good use over the years, but I love them anyway.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/136041.../shares/58ng0d

What do you think? Good ones? I think the blue "clay" one with a star might be a fake, unless they actually made some other than the Atlanta ones. The green one came with it, so both might be painted.

Jayne
    Last edited by jayne; 09-08-2015 at 10:36 PM. Reason: images not showing

Re: New to the group and wanted to share

I did not see a blue clay with a star - pics showing to me were DSCF2031 - 2037. Saw none that looked fake unless maybe the striped China in bottom row but with one view it is hard to tell - probably real. Several old handmades from the late 1800's, early 1900'd - as you noted, some with damage so value is nil. But, nice collection. The one "blue" marble I noticed was a small blue Bennington.

Maybe the pics have changed but I didn't see a small blue bennington either?

The two smallest marbles shown beside each other in the pics are probably the nicest of the bunch to take pride of. Looks to be a peewee blue/white onionskin and a peewee divided core.

Measuring with a caliper will show if they are truly under 1/2" to be considered a peewee

The blue/white onionskin you mentioned is the one I quickly thought might be a Bennington - but a closer look says not.

Quote Originally Posted by Al View Post
    I did not see a blue clay with a star - pics showing to me were DSCF2031 - 2037. Saw none that looked fake unless maybe the striped China in bottom row but with one view it is hard to tell - probably real. Several old handmades from the late 1800's, early 1900'd - as you noted, some with damage so value is nil. But, nice collection. The one "blue" marble I noticed was a small blue Bennington.
    Attached is a picture of the blue clay one I was talking about. I read a story about some folks saying they dug up a hoard of clay marbles with white stars on them (in Atlanta), but it turns out someone just painted them with acrylic paint. I guess I could scratch my fingernail across it to see if paint comes off. For some reason, I thought maybe there really aren't any old clay ones with stars like that.

I didn't have pictures of any Benningtons.

Quote Originally Posted by 1mibs View Post
    Maybe the pics have changed but I didn't see a small blue bennington either?

The two smallest marbles shown beside each other in the pics are probably the nicest of the bunch to take pride of. Looks to be a peewee blue/white onionskin and a peewee divided core.

Measuring with a caliper will show if they are truly under 1/2" to be considered a peewee
    Thanks. I wondered what the blue one would be called. I am not yet comfortable with understanding onion skin yet. I knew I had a larger onion skin because it looks just like one in a book (four panel, green and red).

Quote Originally Posted by Al View Post
    I think the one you thought might be a blue Bennington is the last one on the row. It's actually clear with blue pulled through (wire pull?). It looks like it is filled with blue smoke.

The star one you show is one of the painted mill ball marbles that showed up 15 years ago or so with the story about being dug when they were excavating for the Atlanta Olympics or were used a cannon hot in the Civil War or found in Tennessee - many made up stories. There are a lot of fancy painted mill balls, too. Although "painted" was sometimes just done with Sharpies.