How to Shop Terms of Sale Security Privacy Wish List Order History Contact Us    
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    BenSanders20
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    TN
    Age
    34
    Posts
    89

    I have lots of "junk marbles" - donation time?

    I don't know many "marble collectors" well, but the few I've met have one thing in common with me: we all have boxes of "junk" marbles that are either not collectible, or not worth keeping (duplicates, bad shape, etc).

    Looking for ideas and other participants!

    -As a community, could we donate these to scouts for their badges, or a group of people that could get games going for children?

    - I know I can't speak for anyone else on this forum, but personally: I can't throw marbles away, and so here they sit.

    - I would even pay he shipping costs if they were going to a good cause.

    So here's the bottom line: what are your ideas on what we could do with (at least) my marbles. And would anyone else participate in this if we found a venue to accept the marbles?

  2. #2
    Senior Member jayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arkansas
    Age
    59
    Posts
    1,537

    Re: I have lots of "junk marbles" - donation time?

    Quote Originally Posted by BenSanders20 View Post
    I don't know many "marble collectors" well, but the few I've met have one thing in common with me: we all have boxes of "junk" marbles that are either not collectible, or not worth keeping (duplicates, bad shape, etc).

    Looking for ideas and other participants!

    -As a community, could we donate these to scouts for their badges, or a group of people that could get games going for children?

    - I know I can't speak for anyone else on this forum, but personally: I can't throw marbles away, and so here they sit.

    - I would even pay he shipping costs if they were going to a good cause.

    So here's the bottom line: what are your ideas on what we could do with (at least) my marbles. And would anyone else participate in this if we found a venue to accept the marbles?

    Well, the selfish part of me wants you to sell them to me so I can learn about them. I appreciate junk marbles. Someone loved them a lot.

    What I plan on doing once I get too many is to make some little kits with info on marble collecting and give those to kids to get them hooked (better than drugs, but not necessarily cheaper).

    Other ideas:
    hand them out to kids (just not in a creepy way), any kid who won't eat them (Note to Cas: I just taste them. I don't eat them.)
    Sell them in lots on ebay (possibly give the money to charities of your choice)
    start a marble tournament and let folks use them
    decorate with them, not for aquarium rocks though
    start a marble-in-your-belly-button craze and get everyone hooked

    That's all I can think of for now.

  3. #3
    BenSanders20
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    TN
    Age
    34
    Posts
    89

    Re: I have lots of "junk marbles" - donation time?

    A fat bearded man going shirtless with a marble in his belly-button? If that's not a crime, it should be! LOL! But the idea definitely gave me a laugh!

    The scouts aren't very active out here, and no real shows or events in TN....being a natural introvert, I don't see me rallying us hill folk to play marbles..... But definitely willing to piggyback off someone else's connections!

    My junk is mostly modern production stuff that camee from LoM when I first wanted to learn about them. I preserved a few examples, but there are a few LBS of stuff that's all identical, and probably best suited for play. Also boxes of random stuff I've...aquired... While learning.

    I think the shipping costs would outweigh the price point of this stuff, so selling is probably out.

    So far- you're belly button marble craze is the winner

  4. #4
    Super Moderator lstmmrbls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Vallejo CA
    Age
    65
    Posts
    14,219

    Re: I have lots of "junk marbles" - donation time?

    I have given to the Cub Scouts and a local artist but the most joy I get is dumping them out around a busy kids park playground the next town over.. I dump on Friday night then swing by Saturday morning to watch the fun. I would take pictures but I am afraid of getting beaten to a pulp by a group of Moms thinking I am some kind of perv(LOL)
    CACs make me smile, Galen

  5. #5
    Senior Member jayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arkansas
    Age
    59
    Posts
    1,537

    Re: I have lots of "junk marbles" - donation time?

    Quote Originally Posted by lstmmrbls View Post
    I have given to the Cub Scouts and a local artist but the most joy I get is dumping them out around a busy kids park playground the next town over.. I dump on Friday night then swing by Saturday morning to watch the fun. I would take pictures but I am afraid of getting beaten to a pulp by a group of Moms thinking I am some kind of perv(LOL)
    You should draw off a circle or several and leave instructions on how to play marbles. I bet some have no idea.

  6. #6
    BenSanders20
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    TN
    Age
    34
    Posts
    89

    Re: I have lots of "junk marbles" - donation time?

    i know a lady one town over that hand makes crafts and period costume clothing....she's made marble bags in the past, sells a few in her shop....maybe the bags, an instruction book, and getting them to kids would be a fun idea......i only have a few "junk" shooters though.... hrm....something to ponder for the future though.

  7. #7
    BenSanders20
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    TN
    Age
    34
    Posts
    89

    Re: I have lots of "junk marbles" - donation time?

    found printable game instructions and really cheap bags. its beginning to look like a "marble-y" Christmas for some unsuspecting kids. I was pointed to a church down the street that works with needy children so....we'll see what happens. Hopefully its GAME ON.

  8. #8
    Senior Member jayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arkansas
    Age
    59
    Posts
    1,537

    Re: I have lots of "junk marbles" - donation time?

    Quote Originally Posted by BenSanders20 View Post
    found printable game instructions and really cheap bags. its beginning to look like a "marble-y" Christmas for some unsuspecting kids. I was pointed to a church down the street that works with needy children so....we'll see what happens. Hopefully its GAME ON.
    YAY! Sounds like a fun Christmas for lots of kids and YOU!

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    2,162

    Re: I have lots of "junk marbles" - donation time?

    Quote Originally Posted by BenSanders20 View Post
    found printable game instructions and really cheap bags. its beginning to look like a "marble-y" Christmas for some unsuspecting kids. I was pointed to a church down the street that works with needy children so....we'll see what happens. Hopefully its GAME ON.
    That is an EXCELLENT idea!! Where did you find the printable game instructions?

  10. #10
    BenSanders20
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    TN
    Age
    34
    Posts
    89

    Re: I have lots of "junk marbles" - donation time?

    http://landofmarbles.com/marbles-play.html#1300

    The homepage from LoM has a link at the top for "How to Play". It's a bit wonky on my computer but (with some trial and error messing around) i was able to copy/paste several game types into a word document. Still working on pulling the pics for "Ringer" from the .html to a PDF. When i get a couple of decent looking files put together ill see if i can save them to the thread.

  11. #11
    Administrator Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    NY, NY
    Age
    49
    Posts
    4,786

    Re: I have lots of "junk marbles" - donation time?

    I used to accept marble donations and I'd donate them to the cub scouts who can use them for crafts and also to earn badges and belt loops by learning to play or building a collection of marbles.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    84

    Re: I have lots of "junk marbles" - donation time?

    Or......you could put them under the good ol black light and sell them on ebay LOL.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    15

    Re: I have lots of "junk marbles" - donation time?

    I hope its ok that Im replying to an older thread.

    When you go out to eat, take one of your "junk" marbles and leave it on the table with the tip (LOL). It may end up in the trash, but it may get given to a waitress' or busboy's kid. Or, it could end up getting someone new into the hobby.

  14. #14
    Senior Member That Girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    5,799

    Re: I have lots of "junk marbles" - donation time?

    Freedog, I like that idea a lot.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    2,162

    Re: I have lots of "junk marbles" - donation time?

    I agree! I thot what a very cool idea (which I would have never thot of) to keep the hobby alive and kicking. Probably could expand on other unsuspecting collector's in the making! This hobby don't take a whole heck of a lot to grab you and spin you into a world where you quickly become addicted/don't know one from the other/and spend more than you should and go to bed happy waiting for the next one!

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

How to Shop Terms of Sale Security Privacy
Wish List Order History Links Contact Us


WARNING! CHOKING HAZARD
Marbles should not be given to children under 3 years of age.

Reproduction of any portion of this website, including images, design or content,
by any means, is prohibited without express written permission from LandOfMarbles.com

© LandOfMarbles.com, all rights reserved. Development by ADS