How to Shop Terms of Sale Security Privacy Wish List Order History Contact Us    
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2 1/8" Handmade German      Share

2 1/8" Handmade German

This one I won back in January. The seller had it listed "As Is" thinking it was damaged. It's just deeply lobed and in awesome condition. Only 2 little bubble bursts. With the really nice left hand twist. The center has a nicely formed yellow and blue solid core, I don't know if this is common or not. Is this called an End of Day paneled Cloud? or Onionskin? or what? I think I paid $53.00 delivered. This is one of my favorites, at 2 1/8". Looks cool from every angle.

Re: 2 1/8" Handmade German

Nice one. I have a smaller one, but not in such nice shape. Pretty!

Quote Originally Posted by jayne View Post
    Nice one. I have a smaller one, but not in such nice shape. Pretty!
    Thanks, not that I had anything to do with making it, but they sure did a nice job with this one.

Nice Marble, especially that size. Unusual clear spots in pic 4 & 5, what's going on there?

Quote Originally Posted by 1mibs View Post
    Nice Marble, especially that size. Unusual clear spots in pic 4 & 5, what's going on there?
    The clear glass must refract somehow. I think that's what the seller thought was damage. The straight lines only appear from certain angles, when it's moved they disappear. It's really neat.

Quote Originally Posted by catfish507 View Post
    The clear glass must refract somehow. I think that's what the seller thought was damage. The straight lines only appear from certain angles, when it's moved they disappear. It's really neat.
    Someone else may be able to explain this better. I've had a few lobed onionskins that had that look in the clear glass. It looks like the clear glass is lapped over. when you turn it, it disappears. It doesn't seem to be damage, maybe it is. Very interesting looking. I've always thought it was just a design aspect in the formation of the marble. Please correct me if i'm wrong, I'm going to give this another headbanger, since now I'm questioning this.

Just the way the onionskin is cased. With the colored "balloon" still on the punty, it's dipped in transparent colorless "casing" glass to finish it off, both as a protective coating for the (usually super thin) colored layer and to give it a hard shine. It's really the casing glass that gets rounded in the final stage. Sometimes the internal "colored balloon" isn't fully "inflated" and you get what collectors call a shrunken onionskin. It's noticeably smaller than the casing glass layer. Looks like this onionskin just had a flat spot when it was cased, is all. Nothing for the gatherers to worry about, They were moving pretty fast and it is only noticeable from one angle . . . Definitely not considered damage. Most collectors wouldn't even classify it as an "as-made." Doesn't enter the picture in any significant way.

Nice score!
    Last edited by ann; 03-04-2016 at 03:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ann View Post
    Just the way the onionskin is cased. With the colored "balloon" still on the punty, it's dipped in transparent colorless "casing" glass to finish it off, both as a protective coating for the (usually super thin) colored layer and to give it a hard shine. It's really the casing glass that gets rounded in the final stage. Sometimes the internal "colored balloon" isn't fully "inflated" and you get what collectors call a shrunken onionskin. It's noticeably smaller than the casing glass layer. Looks like this onionskin just had a flat spot when it was cased, is all. Nothing for the gatherers to worry about, They were moving pretty fast and it is only noticeable from one angle . . . Definitely not considered damage. Most collectors wouldn't even classify it as an "as-made." Doesn't enter the picture in any significant way.

Nice score!
    Thanks for the precise analysis. Just what I was looking for. Greatly appreciated.

Can you comment on the formed solid core....It look like it's made up of the colors least showing on the outside, yellow and blue mostly. Is this common on onionskins or Josephs coats. Thanks

I hesitate to say much about onionskin construction / colors because they differ so much from example to example. So I guess I'll just talk in generalities and hope it helps.

First, I guess, is one of the main things that separate onionskins from Joseph Coats. Onionskins, even if the majority of the center of the marble is transparent colorless glass, almost always have a base color -- a layer that's generally white or yellow. It's my understanding that other base colors are rare. Joseph Coats, on the other hand, don't have a base color. The stripes are directly on the transparent base glass.

As for the onionskin colors . . . well, sometimes the gatherer rolled the white-or yellow-coated knob of glass over thin rods of colored glass laid out on a (fire-proofed) table, or sometimes just over small pieces or chips of colored glass. Or both.

Then the knob can be lengthened or stretched a bit, then twisted and snipped off. A gross over-simplification, but fair enough, I hope. So you get some heavy variations. Some onionskins are just spotted; some have spots and slashes of color, others look like they have colored bands that taper from pole to pole. Some are quartered or “lobed” by different colors, and so on.

Joseph Coats, not so. No base color, no spots, no blotches, no tapering bands – just neat variously-colored stripes marching around the marble.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by ann; 03-04-2016 at 06:56 PM.

If the clear spots aren't some type of fracture or filler it's a nice marble indeed. It just seems like such an abrupt cut to the pattern that you'd normally see with a fracture (which throws off the refraction) Certainly haven't seen them all and at 2+" is a good size for this type

Quote Originally Posted by ann View Post
    I hesitate to say much about onionskin construction / colors because they differ so much from example to example. So I guess I'll just talk in generalities and hope it helps.

First, I guess, is one of the main things that separate onionskins from Joseph Coats. Onionskins, even if the majority of the center of the marble is transparent colorless glass, almost always have a base color -- a layer that's generally white or yellow. It's my understanding that other base colors are rare. Joseph Coats, on the other hand, don't have a base color. The stripes are directly on the transparent base glass.

As for the onionskin colors . . . well, sometimes the gatherer rolled the white-or yellow-coated knob of glass over thin rods of colored glass laid out on a (fire-proofed) table, or sometimes just over small pieces or chips of colored glass. Or both.

Then it can be lengthened or stretched a bit, then twisted and snipped off. A gross over-simplification, but fair enough, I hope. So you get some heavy variations. Some onionskins are just spotted; some have spots and slashes of color, others look like they have colored bands that taper from pole to pole. Some are quartered or “lobed” by different colors, and so on.

Joseph Coats, not so. No base color, no spots, no blotches, no tapering bands – just neat variously-colored stripes marching around the marble.

Hope this helps.
    This helps alot. I've seen a youtube video on how the Latticinio core marbles are made from canes. I was wondering more about onionskins that have a distinctly formed solid core inside. This example has a core formed mostly with the lesser colors from the outside, yellow and blue, with only small amounts of red and green. I'm probably not expaining myself very well. I tend to ramble sometimes. I just enjoy talking marbles.

Sometimes when an onionskin is polished you can see that there was another onionskin inside it.

Quote Originally Posted by That Girl View Post
    Sometimes when an onionskin is polished you can see that there was another onionskin inside it.
    Ya know, what I was thinking was a solid core , is probably an onionskin. You're right I do remember reading about that somewhere. I don't think this one has been polished though, but I've been wrong PLENTY of time. I have seen onionskins that have been polished, they have the colored glass "worn" off the pontil. Leaving a clear spot over the pontil area. Thanks

Yeah, of course it doesn't have to be polished to see inside.

Just can make it easier to see layers of onionskins when it is.