How to Shop Terms of Sale Security Privacy Wish List Order History Contact Us    
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ebay      Share

Ebay

I just deleted my text BECAUSE :Coon club meeting where hub ate pickled deer heart. OK. Here goes. I am so way behind the times.. Got paypal. Lost one in a minute. How do your post stuff? Any input helpful.

Re: Ebay

I don't understand the question.

Sorry - I'm not used to being up so late and I get more garbled than usual. I finally created a paypal account. Now is the time for me to get serious and cull out a lot of what I have. (I keep saying that; but so far haven't.) I see a spot on ebay that says 'Do you Have Something to Sell?". Is that where I post something I want to sell? And just upload pics like I do here? My other issue is I'm not sure of value of stuff, nor condition. I will go online to see suggestions, but I thot I would ask here first as to how folks proceed. I would like to put in the ad that I don't really know grading, which I don't, but I don't know if that will scare buyers away. Anywho, any input much appreciated.

eBay can walk you through selling stuff but I would look at some other sellers listings and make copies of pages/parts that you'd like to have for your listing(s). Then maybe do one "practice one" - a real listing and see what you think when it is posted online. I haven't sold on eBay for several years but am looking to get back doing that.

I have been selling a little. I am really just testing the water.
    • Take pics as best you can. Take a bunch if you really want them to see how nice your marbles are. You can post 12.
    • You don't have to say "mint" or "near mint" if you don't know. Make a note in the description for them to check the photos for condition.
    • Make sure you charge enough for postage. I have bought several lots where the seller lost money on shipping, a couple of times shipping cost the entire amount of the lot (or higher).
    • Describe what you have, but don't guess. If you don't know, you don't know. Let the buyer decide. You can say you think it might be something, but putting a name in the title when it's not that kind makes me crazy.
    • Make the starting price something you can live with. I have purchased lots where the seller probably anticipated a bidding war, but I was the only one and got the lot for a steal. I have also sold a few lots and only got the starting bid.

Ebay tells you all about selling. When you start to list the item/s, they guess on the starting price, based on what some sold for. Sometimes they are high and sometimes they are low, but you have a place to start. Click the "sell" button at the top of the screen to start listing.

Hope this helps.

Good info Jayne. It's been literally years since I sold on Ebay, but your advice is right on.

Thanks for all the great input. Al, good suggestion on looking at other Ebay pages. I do know that some catch my eye more than others after I see the mib itself. My one question: Ebay sets the price? Yikes. Couldn't they be way off on value - either way? Also, Jayne, do you have a scale? How do you know how much postage to charge. Sometimes there is no postage which I assume is factored into the selling price?

Besides saying look at pics for condition be sure and also state if the marbles have damage and are not mint. Mint is very easy to know. Moat buyers consider a mint marble to have absolutely no damage.
    CACs make me smile, Galen

Galen; would you consider this mint? I don't; but darn close.

Quote Originally Posted by Cas View Post
    Thanks for all the great input. Al, good suggestion on looking at other Ebay pages. I do know that some catch my eye more than others after I see the mib itself. My one question: Ebay sets the price? Yikes. Couldn't they be way off on value - either way? Also, Jayne, do you have a scale? How do you know how much postage to charge. Sometimes there is no postage which I assume is factored into the selling price?
    Ebay doesn't set the prices. It just makes suggestions. You can take them or leave them. I do have a scale. I bought it on Ebay for $15 or so (new). You can weigh them ahead of time at the post office, if you don't want to buy a scale. Generally, you have to pay at least 2.94 for up to six or seven marbles. It goes up by ounce. Al alternate way is to sell a pound or so and send them in a small, priority-mail, flat-rate box. I think that price to mail is $6.80 now (unless you buy postage from Ebay, and you get a discount).

Yes, look at pics to see how to "pose" your marbles. Some shots are more eye-catching than others. If you are selling a group, somehow putting them in a box makes them more appealing (per my test). If you are selling a small handful or less, take shots like you do for here. That's just my suggestion. Just don't post fuzzy pics and expect folks to buy them. I am talking about really fuzzy pics, not sorta fuzzy.

Sorry - I'm not used to being up so late and I get more garbled than usual. I finally created a paypal account. Now is the time for me to get serious and cull out a lot of what I have. (I keep saying that; but so far haven't.) I see a spot on ebay that says 'Do you Have Something to Sell?". Is that where I post something I want to sell? And just upload pics like I do here? My other issue is I'm not sure of value of stuff, nor condition. I will go online to see suggestions, but I thot I would ask here first as to how folks proceed. I would like to put in the ad that I don't really know grading, which I don't, but I don't know if that will scare buyers away. Anywho, any input much appreciated.
    All great advice. From what I've seen on E-bay, taking plenty of accurate photos is essential. Many times it seems like the buyers don't even read the description. I've seen sellers trying to sell a marble showing only 1 photo. Doesn't work very well. Be sure and add whether or not you will combine shipping, if you have multiple listings, or if you'll accept returns, if buyer is not satisfied. If you're going to start selling on E-bay, be prepared for everything, if that's possible. Sometimes it even helps to explain how you will package and ship an item. Like the others said, check out some of the other sellers like Zaboo Pawn-Master, Cedarman7, sclsuindustries, these seller sell marbles. See what you like about their listings and create your own. I find the photo part to be the most difficult. I spend a fair amount of time on E-bay, way out in the weeds, looking for sellers who don't list their marbles very well. Being a novice, I make plenty of mistakes, but I make some awesome scores as well. Good luck, it can be lots of fun.

Description - Take LOTS of pictures especially the seam, cool features and any damage. Catfish is correct a lot of folks don't even read the description. That being said, that doesn't mean you shouldn't describe the marble and it's condition the best you can, it could mean a higher final bid if you are using the auction format and if there is a dispute you can always go back to "it was clearly stated in my description". State all your payment, shipping and returns procedures in your description. AL had a good point about checking out other listings to see what other sellers have already written and incorporate them into your own listing.

Shipping - If you are selling different lots of single marbles be-aware that most buyers are going to ask about combined shipping and you should have this stated in your listing. I usually charge a $0.50 - $1 combined shipping fee to cover the fees for a single marble. First class mail for a single marble is going to cost you around $2.50 - $3.

I find flat rate envelopes and boxes from the USPS to be the best for bulk marbles, go to the post office and get a couple of each size that way you can see what will work best for your lots. They offer free envelopes/boxes, tracking and $50 insurance (sometimes it's hard to collect though). I usually charge a $2 "handling fee" for bulk lots and combined shipping is usually free if the extra lots fit into the flat rate box.

KEEP THE EBAY AND PAYPAL FEES IN MIND WHEN CREATING YOUR STARTING PRICE!!!! I usually add a $1 - $1.50 "handling fee" to my listings for a sale under $10.

Hard to tell from the pic but I am a stickler with the term mint. No dings no scratches no wear, Mint is mint IMO. I do not do the number thing. Over the years I have had to learn what several different sellers consider mint as they use numbers and that does not work for me, Some I need to see a 9.6 or higher others a 9,8 and so on, I do return marbles but not often once I learn a sellers idea of what is mint. And I also ask sellers a lot of questions, It is a different story with groups versus single marbles. If I do bid on a group I try and see one marble worth what I bid on the group. It works sometimes.
    CACs make me smile, Galen

Wow. Thank you all for the replies & info - hugely helpful. As for "grading", I have seen the description "used" often. I know that seems generic, but if I can manage to take good enough pics with every thing that isn't perfect (whether asmade or otherwise) along with highlights of the mib, that seems to be a good way to go? I agree that mint is mint so I would use that descriptive exceedingly sparingly; if at all. I have to admit I didn't realize how much went into this - but I feel more confident to give it a whirl with all your suggestions and first-hand experiences. Again, much appreciated input...now I just need to let em go.

Wow. Thank you all for the replies & info - hugely helpful. As for "grading", I have seen the description "used" often. I know that seems generic, but if I can manage to take good enough pics with every thing that isn't perfect (whether asmade or otherwise) along with highlights of the mib, that seems to be a good way to go? I agree that mint is mint so I would use that descriptive exceedingly sparingly; if at all. I have to admit I didn't realize how much went into this - but I feel more confident to give it a whirl with all your suggestions and first-hand experiences. Again, much appreciated input...now I just need to let em go.
    "Now I just need to let them go". Make sure you really want to sell them. Selling is fun. Once the auctions end, they go in they box and to the Post, down the road, gone. Do I need to sell, how will I feel when they're gone. Deep and complex questions that must be answered. Just kidding. Have fun with it.