How to Shop Terms of Sale Security Privacy Wish List Order History Contact Us    
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: unable to add pictures      Share

Re: unable to add pictures

update - no developments yet? Am I the only one enjoying a Sunday morning?
    I'll poke around myself and see what I can figure out...

Hopefully they figure it out. As mentioned previously, it'd be nice to be able to delete the photos previously uploaded to our own area so there are not so many. But, I wonder if that affects the archives so the pictures will not show up in the Forum where they were posted.

It would. No change in this ticket yet. There's not much if any response on weekends. Unfortunately I've got the day job during the week and so begins another week of the endless juggle. I try to keep up with stuff during the week, but it's hard to work the day job and do that. Weekends I have time, but most businesses are closed.

Tomorrow night I visit my dad in the nursing home so I don't know when I'll have time to tackle this again, but I will. Sorry!

Let me know if I can help in any way, Don't want to loose any more members.
    CACs make me smile, Galen

I just deleted a huge # of files and still not able to upload a new pic, so I guess I have to wait for an answer. I can't get anywhere poking around on my own and I'm pretty sure we haven't hit a ceiling because I just deleted so much. Sorry, looks like I'm stuck waiting!

I'm at the nursing home with my dad and had a minute to check the status of this ticket and lo and behold it is exactly where it was yesterday - with my having posted credentials I set up so they could login to the forum and see the error for themselves.

I told them off - this is what I pay 9K a year for for VIP support? Very mad and preparing to cut my visit short because I want this resolved and nothing is happening without me constantly harassing them.

Sorry, I've done everything I think I can without their help and got no where.

OK, I woke someone up over there. I had suspected over the weekend I had hit a ceiling of some sort and deleted some of the largest and oldest attachments. Now my server is at 71% full and I still can't attach so something else is going on. My webhostis asking where on my server images are stored so I'm going to try and figure that out.

Also asked my developer if he can help - he usually can and it faster than my webhost.

I'm on it!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I'm at the nursing home with my dad and had a minute to check the status of this ticket and lo and behold it is exactly where it was yesterday - with my having posted credentials I set up so they could login to the forum and see the error for themselves.

I told them off - this is what I pay 9K a year for for VIP support? Very mad and preparing to cut my visit short because I want this resolved and nothing is happening without me constantly harassing them.

Sorry, I've done everything I think I can without their help and got no where.
    This forum is free. And I learned so much. Can't ask for more than that. Family is more important Pete. You do what you can do and don't worry about it.

Thanks Cas. Update: My Webhost had some questions my developer might be able to answer because he integrated the forum into my site. My developer is off the clock now so he'll be able to advise tomorrow morning.

My webhost said "I looked into this issue and it appears that some server changes were made to cause this issue. I found some additional information regarding this issue, located here:
    https://techjourney.net/vbulletin-un...age-or-avatar/

Unfortunately changing the PHP Safe Mode settings in the VB Control Panel did not work so I am going to see if I can hire a tech from vBulletin to fix this..

I had trouble getting into vBulletin but finally did it. It looks like I have been running vBulletin 4.0.2 since 2010. There is a vBulletin 5 now, and I'm torn between upgrading to 5 or fixing 4. There are many settings I'm not happy with in 4 and upgrading would dump them and start fresh. I'd also pay to have it professionally installed because I'm not comfortable doing it, and just want it done right the first time. I worry about changing things though - I know people don't like when things are changed they are comfortable with. That being said, times have changed and my forum is showing it's age. Upgrading would make things more recognizable to todays Internet user, but I expect it would be required to do a lot of hand-holding and training to ensure the old crowd (or what remains of it - the forum is not the hopping place it was 10 years ago) sticks around. Feedback?

My opinion (FWIW). Upgrade. Fixes bugs. Adds features. We'll learn to adapt.

That's what I was thinking. I have tickets in with vBulletin re: upgrading and tickets with others to try and troubleshoot the problem with the current version. I will explore both and probably take the course that resolves the issue soonest.

I'm leaning towards fixing the current version so I can introduce the upgraded forum gradually instead of thrust it upon users. I may be able to implement both versions for a short time so people can still use the one they know while taking a look at the new one. At some point I'd archive the old forum and activate the new. Something like that.

My webhost had told me vBulletin is a 3rd party program and they aren't familiar with it but they can't understand why we're having any problem so she had my server admin take a look at it. They asked for, and I gave them, admin credentials so they can continue to troubleshoot.

No word from vBulletin so my server admin will figure out something. I also asked my developer to take a look and he said:

I looked into this issue and it appears that some server changes were made to cause this issue. I found some additional information regarding this issue, located here:
    https://techjourney.net/vbulletin-un...age-or-avatar/

Based on what it is saying, I would suggest to try changing the settings, in the VBulletin Control Panel, for PHP Safe Mode."

I had already tried this at the suggestion of my webhost and it didn't work. I have off from the day jobb today so will be on top of this all day.

This is fixed! I am uploading a pic of a new product "glowstick" to test - it Is Glow-in-the-dark marbles in a tube that can serve as a nightlight! (Edit - Duh! the image upload test was done on the mod forum, which no one else can see!)

For those who care to know what was wrong:

"The reason this was occurring is because someone set your forum to upload files to a directory that did not exist.

PHP safe mode was not enabled and has never been enabled because in PHP version 5.3, the version your server runs, safe mode has been deprecated, meaning the php developers have stated it is a feature slated for removal and should not be used.

In your admin settings under "Server Settings and Optimization Options", someone turned this setting on:

Safe Mode Upload Enabled
    If your server runs PHP with SAFE MODE Restrictions, set this to yes.

but that was not the actual problem, the next one was:

Safe Mode Temporary Directory
    If your server is running in PHP Safe Mode, you'll need to specify a directory that is CHMOD to 777 that will act as a temporary directory for uploads. All files are removed from this directory after database insertion.

That setting was set to /var/www/vhosts/landofmarbles.com/httpdocs/tmp which is a directory that does not exist. Every upload was being attempted to a non-existent directory, hence the 'unable to move/copy file' error. Either someone set that setting incorrectly, or you used to have a directory named 'tmp' in your httpdocs directory and someone removed it."

I must have caused this because I name files with a temp" or "tmp" prefix if they are something I need temporarily and will be safe to delete. I recall recently finding a folder named "tmp" and figured it was something I set up long ago but did not need long term and so I deleted it. That must have been when the issue started, but I did not connect what I did with the problem that popped up soon after.

So we're back in business, but I'm still thinking about upgrading - if not soon then by next year when I expect to give LOM a facelift - I'm thinking I would upgrade both the site and the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This is fixed! I am uploading a pic of a new product "glowstick" to test - it Is Glow-in-the-dark marbles in a tube that can serve as a nightlight!

For those who care to know what was wrong:

"The reason this was occurring is because someone set your forum to upload files to a directory that did not exist.

PHP safe mode was not enabled and has never been enabled because in PHP version 5.3, the version your server runs, safe mode has been deprecated, meaning the php developers have stated it is a feature slated for removal and should not be used.
    Thanks for all the hard work and time you put into getting this fixed. Yeah for Pete
    In your admin settings under "Server Settings and Optimization Options", someone turned this setting on:

Safe Mode Upload Enabled
    If your server runs PHP with SAFE MODE Restrictions, set this to yes.

but that was not the actual problem, the next one was:

Safe Mode Temporary Directory
    If your server is running in PHP Safe Mode, you'll need to specify a directory that is CHMOD to 777 that will act as a temporary directory for uploads. All files are removed from this directory after database insertion.

That setting was set to /var/www/vhosts/landofmarbles.com/httpdocs/tmp which is a directory that does not exist. Every upload was being attempted to a non-existent directory, hence the 'unable to move/copy file' error. Either someone set that setting incorrectly, or you used to have a directory named 'tmp' in your httpdocs directory and someone removed it."

I must have caused this because I name files with a temp" or "tmp" prefix if they are something I need temporarily and will be safe to delete. I recall recently finding a folder named "tmp" and figured it was something I set up long ago but did not need long term and so I deleted it. That must have been when the issue started, but I did not connect what I did with the problem that popped up soon after.

So we're back in business, but I'm still thinking about upgrading - if not soon then by next year when I expect to give LOM a facelift - I'm thinking I would upgrade both the site and the forum.
    Thanks, Pete for all the time and effort you put into getting this straightened out!