How to Shop Terms of Sale Security Privacy Wish List Order History Contact Us    
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Akro - But not marbles      Share

Akro - But not marbles

Along with marbles I collect Akroware. Glass items that Akro made alongside their marbles. These two came in the mail yesterday. First up is an Akro Powder Jar. This is a kinda HTF piece. I've got another base, but this one is complete with it's lid. There's a metallic swirl along with the blue. And lights up brightly under black light.

And next is an Akro ashtray with Oxblood and Aventurine Green swirls in a Cream base. And again this lights up under black light.

Re: Akro - But not marbles

When i was looking for marbles during the 127 yard sale one man that i ask about marbles he said he did,nt have marbles,but he collected akro glass.I don,t collect akro glass but after seeing that ashtray i wish i would have look at what he had.Oh i found 2 qt.jars of mks for 25 bucks.Newer mks but nice ones,have not seen them before on ebay or forums. Nice a.s.h.receiver.

Like these little ashtrays. Got 1/2 dozen or so.

I need one with the aventurine. I could stare at it forever.

Curious question: was the aventurine/oxblood combination intentional in these pieces?

Quote Originally Posted by 1mibs View Post
    Curious question: was the aventurine/oxblood combination intentional in these pieces?
    Yes. I have 4 Oxblood/Aventurine ashtrays with varying amounts of both

Or did that color accidentally form aventurine.
    CACs make me smile, Galen

Quote Originally Posted by lstmmrbls View Post
    Or did that color accidentally form aventurine.
    How do you "accidentally" form aventurine? I've always thought it was something deliberately add to the melt. Is all aventurine an accident? I'm asking seriously.

IMO I believe almost all aventurine in marbles is accidental. My main reason being even in the tons of Peltier paperwork Formulas from many companies etc.the wonderful sparkle of aventurine is never mentioned, no where at all.. I would think it would of at least been mentioned in advertisements if it was on purpose. Purposefully making aventurine glass is a difficult and expensive process. Now if one of the men mixing the chemicals to make the glass realized that adding extra amounts of the metallic oxides would make some precipitate into aventurine I could see them messing around, (and this does happen often in marble glass forming most of the green aventurine we are familiar with) But purposefully making and adding it to machine made marbles, I do not believe so IMO. Again, not one recipe for aventurine in the known paperwork of marble glass formulas. Also most aventurine glass burns out into other glass when added into a gob feeder, Goldstone turns into oxblood in the new run marbles and the lutz stringer they have is (I believe added at the end of the process by hand not cooked in a tank . But ton of aventurine forms by accident especially in green glass including cat eyes. I should add that not all believe as I do and many die hard Pelt collectors refuse to believe the aventurine was accidental.
    Last edited by lstmmrbls; 08-12-2017 at 03:31 PM.
    CACs make me smile, Galen

Well... This old fart learned something new today. Thanks Galen

Interesting thoughts, reason I asked is hadn't seen oxblood and green aventurine combo on any Akro marbles (that I can think of). Eye popping combination, don't get me wrong. just struck me as something I hadn't seen before in a marble