How to Shop Terms of Sale Security Privacy Wish List Order History Contact Us    
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

RE: MF Christensen Slags? Large 15/16

Hi Rory--

Do you have any pictures of the marbles you are talking about. I would love to see them, as I have no clue what a ground/faceted pontil looks like and would like to know...thanks, and thanks for all your posts on these marbles.

Lori

Lori,
    I just noticed we rhyme. My downloads never work for this site and besides my picture taking skills are not half as good as yours. I have one better for you. http://akronmarbles.com/pontil_variations.htm
    Type in this address. It's the Akron Marble site. They have lots of killer info.Hope this helps. =;
    Road Dog

Yes our names do rhyme... Thanks for the link. That is GREAT info. I really appreciate the help. I don't see anything like that on the big marbles. They're pretty smooth, but I don't know about that blue/green one....

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Aug-31-04 AT 09:03 PM (EST)]Here's a pic of a mica with a ground ( faceted ) pontil.
    Hard to photograph, so hope you can see it.

Paul.

Attachments:
    http://www.landofmarbles.com/forumim...a7b6afa232.jpg

Hi Paul--

Hard to tell, but I appreciate you taking the time to post a picture. It simply amazes me how much there is to know about marbles..I appreciate everyone's help.

Loriann,
    I have not read the other posts in this thread because they at first glance seem confusing... I hope I don't repeat what anyone else has said.
    This Blue/Green marble you have there looks American... very possibly Akron, Ohio since this is where much of our earlier marbles were made. It dosen't "look" M.F.C. to me but since I wasn't around then to see how they made everything from the begining I cant say to any great degree. Any expert knowledge I have regarding Navarre or Leighton is lacking- However I do have, and have had slags such as yours with texture, pattern and color like yours and with 'pontils' like the one shown. One of mine I gave to Brian G. (akronmarbles) and if he see this thread, I invite him to give his opinion.
    It is my opinion that this marble of yours was made in Akron 1880's-1890's... based on the age of the sites where ALL of mine were dug from. I have not seen this color/pattern/pontil come out of Europe.
    I have seen many ground pontil aqua slags from Europe though, and some are similar to this one except for the pontil and texture.
    Gretchen

Paul--

I got a mica with this group too...Is this the pontil that you are talking about?
    Attachments:
    http://www.landofmarbles.com/forumim...b0c306bc45.jpg

Thanks for the reply!! There seems to be some differing opinion on this marble. I have no idea. Thought MF Christensen, but I am not sure. Thanks for the input. I appreciate the help.

Lori

That makes sense to me definitely doesn't have a European look.That marble was frosted pretty good so if it had a melted pontil I'm not sure you could see it. Though I thought that top picture might have looked like it.
    Road Dog

pontils.

Wait a minute here. pontils are nothing but the flat ground place that replaced a sharp edge from breaking off a punty on any marble. The pontil you see is just the way some guy tilted the marble you are looking at on a flat grinding wheel back in the eighty's or the 19-teens. The person holding the marble ground his pontil the way HE wanted at that minute. He may have cut his finger that morning, or had a hangover, or a stiff neck, which would affect the way he held the marbles that day. The pontils were made by real people, not by machines. I think many people at any of the old glass marble companies ground the pontils. The pontils were ground by any of the glass master's helpers, in their spare time. Different shifts, had different people grinding. It takes no talent to hold a glass marble to a grinding wheel for a pontil. They had gas torches with out stands back then to melt the pontil marks. I have read accounts of the glass workers kids doing this job. Remember families of glass workers did the real glass work of mixing batch, and working hot glass by hand. Glass people still teach the craft by apprenticing. Hot Glass working is not a skill taught to one's self. love Grandma Dee Snell

RE: pontils.

My oh My !!!! I see 4 M.F Christensen Slags and a Clear Akro.
    Pontals are really a mute point here.These are machine made and rolled down an auger to cool down....no one touched them. >-
    LOVE ! RICK
    Rick A. Robbins

RE: pontils.

I agree with Rick.

( Well almost ).

I see three MFC slag marbles and an Akro, but I think the aqua one may not be MFC.

As you say Rick, pontils are not an issue here except for the aqua, which I believe to be a handgathered marble ( possible German or a later Japanese ) with a pinch pontil, where the marble was gathered on a punty, then cut prior to falling into the machine rollers.

Some call these transitional marbles, and some do not like this term, though it makes sense to me - a marble gathered and cut by hand, then formed in rollers, neither wholly hand or machine made, but a combination of the two.

The clear based has all the characteristics of an Akro ( fully machine made ) slag, and the others of the same type by MFC.
    The aqua one is different in construction though, and I don't recall MFC ever using that colour.

Paul.

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Sep-01-04 AT 11:11 AM (EST)]Geeez, I didn't know I was missed. LOL. Just let me say a few things first. To Galen; For someone I have never met personally, I appreciate your comments. To Lori; I am still trying to get some good views of ground pontils. I am not at all good with a camera, so I still use my scanner to take pics. I'll keep trying. Last, but certainly not least, I am not, nor have I ever claimed to be an expert/know-it-all on any of these little glass balls and I sure hope I don't come across that way. From Jabos to Handmades, I am still learning! On the blue/green mib, it is the color that has me scratching my head. If the color I see on my screen is right, I don't believe it to be M.F.C. I do not believe M.F.C. used that color in their marbles. I can't see a pontil on it in the pics, but like Rory said, that doesn't mean it doesn't have one. Just one of those "you gotta see it in-hand" I guess. If it has a melted pontil and was made by one of Leighton's Ohio factories, I would say it was from Barberton and not from Navarre, Ohio. If it has a ground pontil, I would guess Germany. How's that for a non-commital answer? OK, I've rambled on enough.

Oh, one other thing, a ground pontil, amber/brown slag. Isn't this a great hobby? Thanks.(http://home.neo.rr.com/franfred/index.html/lori.JPG)

Hi Dan--

Thanks for the response. The collor is quite strange on the blue/green one, and I just don't know what to think, b/c I don't see a pontil on it either. Who knows. Sometimes it is just so hard to tell. I guess it may remain a mystery...

Well Lori, you could just send it to me. However, it may take years and years to correctly ID it, but it would have a good home. Just kidding of course, but if you are ever interested in selling or trading it, please let me know. Thanks.