How to Shop Terms of Sale Security Privacy Wish List Order History Contact Us    
+ Reply to Thread

Restoring marble door threshold

Hi all, firstly thanks for taking the time to read this. Looking to seek input from experienced persons related to restoring my marble threshold at home.

The previous owner of the house sadly fixed a wooden treshold to the floor by means of using glue and screws (hence the damage that can be seen in the middle oft the marble). Refer to photos 'before sanding'. Additionally, there were paint stains, general wear and tear stains and chips and scratches. Correctly or incorrectly I initially attempted to use a number of off the shelf products designed to clean the marble, which quite frankly didn't touch it. I also tried to use a stanley knife to lift glue and paint stains which again didn't seem to work. The stains appeared impregnated or too stubborn to remove. I then used household bleach which made some impact but again didn't really do a lot. For information this threshold has likely received 100 years of wear and tear.

I then decided to restore the marble having looked at a few youtube videos, using a mouse sander (started with 60 grit) with a view to increase grits and finally polish. Appreciate this is not an orbital sander and not diamond paper. This has had some affect however there are still stains present which I need help identifying and tackling. I have tried a poultice made of flour and water covered with cling film/surround wrap but again this has had no affect. Refer to photos 'after sanding'.

My questions are:

1. Does anybody know what the stains could be? They appear yellow and orange. I'm not confident that they're rust stains but think it could be impregnated in the marble. My bet is glue but still not entirely sure.

2. In light of the above, would I be be better wet sanding with say a 40 grit using a diamond pad and orbital sander or using chemicals/poultices with amonia or even bleach etc.

3. Will an orbital sander in lieu of a mouse sander offer better results.

I was hoping to remove the stains before attempting epoxy repair.

Thanks all for feedback. Feel free to shoot me down
    Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	before sanding..jpg
Views:	29
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	107627   Click image for larger version

Name:	before sanding2.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	107628   Click image for larger version

Name:	after sanding 2.jpg
Views:	25