How to Shop Terms of Sale Security Privacy Wish List Order History Contact Us    
+ Reply to Thread

General marble ID & values

I am doing an estate sale for a friend. There are lots of marbles. I know nothing about marbles and was wondering if there is a book that is good for all general IDing? I looked on a collector book site and there are lots of books on collecting marbles. I am pretty sure most of the marbles are from the 50's or before. I think there are some that might be valuable, but need to educate myself. Any suggestions? I read some of the posts and am fascinated (and amazed) that there are so many kinds of marbles. Thanks in advance for any info and advice.

Unregistered

Re: General marble ID & values

check the web site marblealan.com for ID'ing marbles. check the ID page here too.

Vintage marble collector lstmmrbls's Avatar

If you do not have any experience(years) collecting marbles you should get a long time collector to help you out. Identifying marbles from a book or ID site is a near impossible task. What area are you in? Peace,Galen

This is very good advice from one of the best.....I am a newbe, two years and have studied all the books and sites and auctions and ebay, and still just know the very obvious and can make a good guess at times....there are collectors all over who will help out for a few choise marbles.....Good luck Jon

The one thing with large groups of marbles is that 90%+ are going to be common marbles - collectible butn ot valuable. Thus, you are not going to find pictures of those in the ID books. Some of the online guides like Land of Marbles and Alan's site, have some good pics of the more common marbles so you can get an idea. It just takes time and experience to learn and even then, some marbles are hard to tell (sometimes even impossible) which company made them. Marble machines were sold form company to company as some went out of business or got newer machines so styles went from company to company... The best way is to sit down with a collectors that has some general knowledge across the board on marble types.