How to Shop Terms of Sale Security Privacy Wish List Order History Contact Us    
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: black light and pictures      Share

black light and pictures

I have a few marbles that just look awsome under black light and I want to take a picture of them for the auction. Even with my flash turned off I can't capture the "glow" What am I doing wrong?
    Gracie

Re: black light and pictures

With a strong enough black light you should be able to get pics of them in a low light setting. It is not easy with most cameras. Peace,Galen

I have a couple of marbles that require a black light. Can anyone please tell me where I can purchase one suitable for using with marbles

Pete sells black lights here, on this site. Just check out "other collector supplies" in the drop down at the top of the screen. Pete seems like a pretty righteous fellow, seeing as he provides this forum for me to kill time on while at work or while my wife is watching "insert reality tv show name here." Lol. She knows I'm kidding!
    -Dave

When taking pictures of marbles that you need to show glowing (The result of the marble having uranium oxide properties), follow a couple of simple rules and your glowing marble can be shown in great detail....One thing that a lot of people fail to do is make sure your blacklight source shines directly over your subject without the “line of sight” directed at the lens (or else your pics will turn out purple)…..Also try and always use a dark backdrop (area behind the subject), so that it doesnt fluoresce and take away from your subject…..Notice in the pics below, the blacklight line of sight is not directed towards the camera lens or the backdrop but directly over the subject.

If at all possible, try using a small amount of available light in addition to the blacklight as this will give better outline to the marbles detail while still showing the fluorescent properties……… Notice that very little purple lighting can be seen in the finished photograph......

-Chuck Jr.

That's awesome Chuck! Thanks for the tip!
    Rhonda