How to Shop Terms of Sale Security Privacy Wish List Order History Contact Us    
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Smile Large clear marble with white animal? inside

I have 4 large glass marbles with what looks like a sheep, a pig and 2 other animals inside them The marbles are larger than a standard marble measuring about 1 1/4 - 1 1/2". They have lots of small bubbles in the glass and a large bubble around the animal inside. I have a small antiques & collectibles shop and have been selling items for a lady who always has quality merchandise. I feel these are of some quality but not knowing marbles, I am asking the experts. I am hoping that someone will be able to tell me something about the marbles as well as a selling value for them. If not, at least point me in the right direction to get this information. Thank you in advance, James RJ Antiques

Vintage marble collector lstmmrbls's Avatar

Re: Large clear marble with white animal? inside

They are old German Sulphides. Condition is very important. And if they have been polished or not. They all appear to have the exact same surface which leads me to believe they have been polished or buffed. Not rare figures and not well defined. Need clear pics to put a value on them. Peace,Galen

Thank you for your response. Hopefully these pictures are a little clearer. As far as polishing or buffing, I can only tell you that all 4 of the marbles have what looks like a rough spot on the bottom where it looks like they were maybe sliced off or something. Thanks again, James RJ Antiques

Can we see a picture of the rough spot? They all have only one rough spot? pax Jon

Wow, you guys don't make this easy, but I sure do appreciate your interest and help. The spot, and yes, there is only one rough spot on each marble, is on what would be the bottom of the marble and is hard to see in the picture. I have circled it to so you would at least know where it is. Thanks again, James RJ Antiques

Vintage marble collector lstmmrbls's Avatar

Most Sulphides have a nicely finished pontil. some ground so smooth that they are hard to detect. And being made individually they
    only have one pontil. Those appear to be in excellent condition and should be in the 100-160 each area if not polished. IMHO Peace,Galen
    Last edited by lstmmrbls; 11-19-2006 at 08:42 PM.

Thanks again to everyone for their promt and informative replies.
    I do still have just 2 questions and then I think I will be ready to tag the marbles for sale. I would like to know when the marbles were made. I would also like to clarify as far as pricing in re to Galen's last reply. You are saying that I should sell them for between 25-40 each? I am assuming that since you said between $100-160 and I have 4 of them. Am I understanding that correctly. Thanks again to all who replied. James RJ Antiques

Unregistered

Galen price was $100-$160 each I'm sure. If not polished. Sulphides were made from the mid 1800's to somewhere's around 1915 or so.
    Road Dog

Almost done with marbles catfish's Avatar

What Road Dog said...however if you would like to sell them all for $100 I know a buyer. LOL

Unregistered

I have two marbles that look to be three layered and one of them has a cat on one side and a ghost on the other with emeralds in them and then I have another with just a cat on this inside with emeralds in them and I cant seem to find them anywhere anyone know what kind these are?

Unregistered

Large Clear Glass on the outside but black and orange in the middle please help

They don't look like your standard sulphide and I cant get a pic up. The surrounding glass is clear but there is an orange and black layer in the middle that separates the animals from eachother and I have never seen anything like it.

Unregistered

Question Can anyone help me

Please I have been searching for hours trying to find these marbles

Sorry. I can't place "emeralds" as something showing up on marbles. Possibly a contemporary handmade. ??

It isn't that people are ignoring you. Sometimes it takes awhile to get an answer even with good pix showing. Without pix I imagine most people are at a loss as to how to help.

But welcome to the board.

Steph

p.s. If you have pix, then registering might allow you to post them. :-)

emeralds... ?

Paul and Grandma Dee Snell used to make marbles with jeweled stones inside, but i don't think they used figurines with them.

i'm guessing that your marbles are contemporaries, too.
    paula